Advantages for the Overseas, International Students at Henry Kendall High School
Gosford, NSW on The Central Coast
(less than 1 hour north of Sydney)
There are many advantages to studying at this prestigious NSW State High School:
- Henry Kendall has an excellent reputation within the region and is generally considered only second to Gosford Selective High School, five minutes down the road (Note: International Students cannot attend Selective Schools).
- Henry Kendall has had a waiting list for students outside of our area to attend this school for the past 20 years, as local parents have tried to seek the best possible education for their children.
- Henry Kendall offers the advantage of studying at a school where the International Student will be surrounded by English as there are few non-English speakers, unlike at the Sydney schools where other languages are used constantly and sometimes there is little practice of English.
- We are a short walk from the central train station of the district, Gosford Station, and right near the main Eastern Australia train line.
- We are only ¾ hour north of Hornsby, one of Sydney's major suburbs and well known for its high Non English Speaking Background communities, particularly for its high numbers of Chinese and Korean speakers.
- Henry Kendall has an excellent reputation for tolerance and enjoys few playground behaviour issues.
- Henry Kendall has attached to it the Support Unit, one of the best teacher support centres in the area for disadvantaged and handicapped students.
- Situated within a beautiful aspect amongst leafy trees, with more views to the distant gum tree hills, Henry Kendall High School is an excellent choice for the International Student.
"I arrived at Henry Kendall High School in Year 11. At first I was a bit lost but I really liked the school and it was much better than my old Malaysian schools. I really like the Australian education system and the teachers at Henry Kendall are just great. They are patient and really care about my education. After the first week, I made new friends and they helped me with my studies because I was Chinese-Malay and new to the school.
There are advantages to going to this school because mostly everyone is an English speaker and I could not use my home language. Almost everyone is Australian so I learned the culture and adapted much faster.
We had an ESL Teacher so I could get help or have someone to talk to when I needed it. I also had a mentor, a special teacher assigned by the school to me. She helped me with a study timetable and just talked to me with any problem I had."
ESL and International Student Wern Li Oo - 2009:
We celebrate diversity and multiculturalism at this school every year with Harmony Dayand International Students' Day. We also feature a lunchtime Muslim prayer room for our small numbers of Islamic students. Each year all of our ESL students and International Students are invited on an annual excursion to the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Useful International Student links for our area, called
The Central Coast:
International Students Centre:
61 2 1300 302 456
61 2 9217 4801
Department of Education and Training (DET)
Website for International Students:
Tuda Homestay Agents for the Gosford and Central Coast area:
CRICOS Provider Name: NSW Department of Education and Training (Schools)
CRICOS Provider Code: 00588M